this morning I was in the mood to bake. Being that it is spring and coming close to Easter, I wanted to make spring themed treats. A couple days ago I saw Niomi Smarts recipe for healthy bird nests. I knew this would be the perfect recipe to try out. When I did, I was not disappointed. It’s impossible to tell there even healthy! These are the perfect way to get into the spring spirit!
Healthy Easter/Spring nests
(Makes about 9 nests)
-100g dark chocolate (approximately 1 chocolate bar)
-2 1/2 cups puffed rice or puffed wheat
-1/2 cup oats
-1/2 cup ground almonds or almond flour
-1 tbsp coconut oil
-1 tbsp almond butter
-2 tbsp maple syrup/agave syrup
-1 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips ( you could also just chop up dark chocolate into mini chunks)
-1 tbsp other filler (I.e. Chopped peanuts, dried raspberries or more mini dark chocolate chips)
1. Fill a saucepan with a small amount of water and bring to a boil. Put a bowl over the top and add the 100g dark chocolate.
2. Slowly melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is all melted, gradually add the puffed rice and stir until evenly coated.
3. line a muffin tray with 9 muffin liners and add evenly add the rice mixture. Using a spoon create a small hole in the center. These will be the nests.
4. Put the muffin tin into the refrigerator. Let cool for 1-2 hours
5. while the nests are cooling, you can start on the eggs. Add the coconut oil onto a small saucepan and let melt.
6. While the oil is melting, grind your oats in a food processes or blender. They should end up like a fine powder.
7. When the oil has melted, add it to a bowl along with the oat powder, almond flour, almond butter, maple syrup, dark chocolate chips and your other filler.
8. Mix together until you have a cookie dough texture. Using about a tsp of the mixture, make small egg shapes. You should end up with 22-30 eggs.
9. Put into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes. Once eggs and nests have hardened, remove from the fridge.
10. Remove the muffin liner from the nests. Add about three eggs into each nest.
And that’s it! Now all you have to do is enjoy!