Easter is tomorrow, and i wanted to have some treats for my family and me to enjoy. Lately i have been obsessed with chocolate, so i was looking for something that included it. I found this recipe for healthy raw carrot balls at http://urbanposer.blogspot.ca/2012/03/raw-carrot-cake-balls-giveaway-upgrade.html . I decided to give them a try. Lets just say they were not going well. I don’t know if it was the recipe or me. Anyhow, i made some changes and they turned out great. They have a perfect mix of carrot, apple and chocolate. You cant even tell they are healthy! Here’s how i made them.
Healthy Spring Bites
For the filling:
-1/4 cup grated carrots
-1 large apple, cored
-1/8 cup raisins or currants
-1 – 1 1/4 cup shredded dried coconut
-1/4 tsp cinammon
-1/8 tsp nutmeg
-1-2 tbsp raw honey or agave syrup
– 2 tbsp nut butter (almond, peanut, sunflower)
-2 tbsp almond flour (or ground almonds)
For the chocolate:
-1/4 cup coconut oil
-2 tbsp raw honey/agave syrup
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-6 tbsp cacao
-3 tbsp water (more or less to get the desired consistency, add slowly)
1. Cut the apple into slices and grate. Using a sieve or strainer, squeeze the juice from the grated apple pieces.
2. pour the juice into a bigger bowl along with all the other ingredients for the filling.
3. It should be thick enough to roll into balls. Roll the mixture into small balls of about 1 tbsp of the mixture. They don’t have to hold overly well, just enough to keep their shape on a plate.
4. put the balls into the refrigerator. leave for 30-60 minutes. While they are cooling start on the chocolate.
5. Mix all the ingredients either then the water and cacao powder and water into a bowl. you dont to microwave the coconut oil at the moment.
6. Slowly add the cacao into the mixture. The mixture will be very thick. To thin it add the water slowly. If your mixture still has lumps of the oil, put it into the microwave for about 15 seconds (or until the oil melts). You should be left with a mixture that looks like melted chocolate.
7. When the balls have cooled, line a tray with parchment paper. Place the balls onto the tray and slowly pour the chocolate over the balls. Make sure they are all evenly coated. Put the balls back into the freezer and wait about 1 hour, or until chocolate hardens.
8. Remove from the tray and enjoy!. Keep in the fridge to prevent them from meting.
Tip: These melt quick! so make sure you eat them quickly to prevent you from having chocolate covered fingers.